Nigeria Buries Remains After Illegal Refinery Blast

A person digs a grave for the mass burial of victims of the explosion at the illegal bunkering site in Imo state, Nigeria April 26, 2022. REUTERS/Tife Owolabi

BY CHINEDU ASIADU

OHAJI-EGBEMA, NIGERIA (AP
) ā€” Remains of more than 100 workers and traders who died after an illegal refinery exploded in southeast Nigeria were buried on Tuesday in an official ceremony after an incident that shocked the region.

Nigeriaā€™s National Emergency Management Agency said at least 110 people had died in Fridayā€™s explosion though officials believe the casualty figure could be higher.

ā€œAs the days go by, most people who think their siblings travelled will now realize maybe they are victims of this (explosion),ā€ said Marcel Amadioha, chairman of the Ohaji-Egbema local government area where the illegal refinery operated.

Nigeria is Africaā€™s largest producer of crude oil and illegal refineries and oil bunkering activities have plagued the continentā€™s most populous nation for years.

Illegal refineries are ā€œvery widespreadā€ in the West African nation mainly as a result of ā€œthe collapse of the system (with) poor security system and the lack of care for the pipelines,ā€ said Nnimo Bassey, director of the Health of Mother Earth Foundation environmental group in Nigeria.

Nigeriaā€™s security forces are still hunting for two suspects who have been blamed by authorities for the explosion. However, local officials, including chairman Amadioha, have accused security agencies of ā€œsabotageā€ in the incident, saying they work with the operators of illegal refineries.

ā€œThey were so loose that the illegal bunkers will come here in their numbers without any kind of threat, not feeling like the police or security agencies will come,ā€ the council chairman said of the security agencies. ā€œThere are some of them who are collaborators, who are sabotaging the efforts of the real ones trying to make sure this illegal bunkering stops.ā€

Nigeriaā€™s police and military did not immediately respond to an inquiry for comments.

Tuesdayā€™s event was a hurried but solemn burial that had been delayed for four days since the explosion on Friday as local authorities made efforts to arrange for vital equipment such as excavators.

Many of the victimsā€™ bodies had been carried away and buried by families with just about 50 left at the refinery site for Tuesdayā€™s mass burial, according to Bright Onyenwoke, a youth leader. ā€œMy heart bleeds,ā€ he told The Associated Press.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the nationā€™s security forces ā€œto intensify the clampdownā€ on such facilities being operated illegally in many parts of southern Nigeria, but there are concerns it would be a difficult task given insecurity in the area and a high rate of poverty.

In Imo state, many of those who worked at the refinery site did so ā€œout of frustration,ā€ according to youth leader Onyenwoke, who said the communities in the area are being marginalized despite having dozens of oil wells.

ā€œThere is no good road, no good water, no electricity,ā€ he said, ā€œso, the means of survival here is hard,ā€ adding that sometimes taking part in illegal businesses becomes preferable.

Oramaru Kwintus with Nigeriaā€™s disaster management agency said that authorities will ā€œembark on more sensitization of the youths on the dangers of these dangerous activities.ā€

Comments

Popular Posts